Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Foliage Follow-up April 2014

My Garden Blogger's Bloom Day debut was yesterday, so it is only fitting for me to post a Foliage Follow Up (the brainchild of Pam Penick and her fabulous garden blog, Digging).


One of the 6 or so Crinum Lilies I planted this spring, about a month ago. These might take until next year to bloom, but I'll enjoy the broad, strappy, tropical-looking foliage in the meantime. The foliage is growing up quickly. I love the one red streak at the base, which shows up on several of my Crinums.

Blanc Du Bois Grape is coming back bushy after freezing back hard.

Recently-added Japanese Aralia seems to be enjoying its shady new home.

My Columbines aren't blooming yet, though several in the Austin area are. I think mine are a little behind due to being transplants (2) and new additions (2). Behind them, Heartleaf Skullcap is doing just fine. This is also a recent addition. The sun in this photo is unusual--this is a mostly shaded spot in my backyard, under a 20' Cedar Elm. I hope they'll like it here.

The Firepit succulent planter is slowly recovering from the abuse it took all winter. This thing is too heavy for me to move indoors, especially pregnant. I tried covering it, but we had some hard freezes this year. I'm impressed that these little guys survived. (Manfreda and sedums. An Echeveria bit the dust.)

This is a side view of the "back alley" of my backyard--8 Crape Myrtles of various heights, and 5 Pampas Grass. The Crape Myrtles have leafed out over the past month, which is always a welcome change in the Spring, even if the temperatures aren't hot enough yet to justify the extra shade.

Coral Bells provides lovely green-tinted purple foliage in the Purple Pocket Garden. This was one of the first perennials to come back to life this year.

I have a pair of Asparagus Ferns who have been with me for roughly 10 years,  since my apartment days. This is maybe the 6th or 7th time they've died back and returned. Tough as nails, these things. By summer, you won't be able to see the blue pot, there will be so many shaggy fronds spilling about like dreadlocks. Not the most kid-friendly plant, as the leaves are spiky, but it's not as spiky as a cactus. Still, I don't prune this without gloves on.

Slow and steady Texas Mountain Laurel is covered with a pretty lime-green fringe of new leaves.

A new addition to the Anole Mafia almost got away before I snapped this pic.

Texas Redbud is leafing out. I love that so many leaves start out tinged with pink and gold at the edges.

Esperanza (Yellow Bells) is slowly returning with its serrated leaves.

Ornamental Ginger is coming back, despite its fragile reputation. This is its second comeback this year; the first was cut short by yet another frost. Flax Lily is limping along in this picture. It's the one plant I haven't dared to clean up, so it's still mostly covered in dead brown leaves from last year. I'm surprised it's growing back at all.

I used to wonder what the big deal was about Mexican Feathergrass, and I think it's because you can't see from a picture how it dances and shines in the breeze. Truly lovely. I'm glad to see a couple of babies springing up this year.


Last but not least, a stump picture--not really foliage, I admit, but this is a big milestone in my garden. Yesterday we had Austin Tree Experts come over and cut down the tall split-trunk Chinese Tallow in the backyard. They'll be back to grind the stump later this week. This opens up the first full-sun area in the backyard. Now it's time to daydream and decide what lovely things to replace the grass with...

No comments:

Post a Comment